How to Quickly Assess the Health of Your Project Portfolios and Manage Dependencies
Sciforma has launched two main functionalities in its software. Find out how Sciforma helps you better manage dependencies between projects and simply evaluate your project thanks to the Health Score.
Better manage project interdependencies to avoid drifting
In today's world, most projects depend on other projects or contribute to larger initiatives. The challenge is to get all these projects and capabilities well coordinated to minimize schedule slippage, reduce resource conflict, and prevent duplication of effort so performance is optimized.
- Ways to manage complex projects and initiatives with multiple dependencies ?
- Alleviate resource and schedule conflicts.
- How project health scores will help you stay ahead of your projects.
A combination of all of these factors will help prevent delayed project schedules.
Let’s put things into perspective…
How to manage complexe interdependences between various projects
Companies are organized in many various ways and face changing environments that requires flexibility in terms of information system and project & portfolio management system. Those systems must enable to consider for example :
- Project Types: Projects of different types might be connected
- Project Methodologies: Waterfall, Agile or other methodologies like Critical Chain, PRINCE2, etc. Different methodologies may be combined
- Project Structures: Portfolio, Program, Project, Work Package
- Project Organization: Portfolio Management Strategic, Operational Portfolio Management, Project Management, Project Collaboration
- Types of Organizational Structures: Functional Structure, Divisional Structure, Matrix Structure, Task Forces
- Digital transformation : Designing a fundamentally new set of experiences, products and services for your customers
Evaluate the impact of dependencies on your project portfolio
Project Managers may need to visualize the impact of other projects on their own (and vice versa). These “external” links/constraints may be defined at the level of tasks/activities and/or projects as Dependencies.
Two kinds of relationships:
- Project-To-Task dependency: realized when an entire Project (source of the dependency) impacts a task in the Target project.
- Task-To-Task dependency: occurs when a Task in the Project (source of the dependency) impacts a Task in the Target Project.
The main benefit for the Project Managers is to be alerted when something changes:
Project Manager : “I need to easily see other project progress so that I can anticipate potential impacts on my project”.
With Sciforma 7.1, Project Managers will be able to access :
- Representation of a constraint between two different Projects (or Products and Programs)
- Synchronization controlled by Project Managers
- Easy access to information about Source Project (the one constraining the other)
Program Manager: “I need to monitor the sub-project status so that I can anticipate needs for synchronization across the program”.
With Sciforma 7.1, Program Managers will be able to access :
- All-in-one view of the Program schedule
- Consolidation and coordination of the Sub-Projects
- Ability to quickly review, drill-down or edit the components of a Program
- Bi-directional dependencies to push objectives down
Executive: “I need to easily understand the status of key projects and drill down to investigate potential problems”.
With Sciforma 7.1, Executives will be able to access :
- Cross-portfolios list of Programs, Products and Projects
- Easy-to-use, high-level Gantt visualization
- Easy drill-down to review detailed Project Status and KPI
Assess the overall progress of your projects with the Health Score
Project managers, sponsors and project team members are sometimes so immersed in daily activities that they are no longer able to assess the true status of a project.
The Project Health Score is based on objective and quantitative values to know how a project is going. The project manager can therefore be proactive and anticipate schedule delays when a project fails or tends to go in the wrong direction.
The Health Score helps you easily track your programs, projects and portfolio
Where will it be used?
- Portfolio-level Health Score
- Health Score as Key Performance Indicators for PMOs
- Health Score as a system-level ROI indicator
The Health Score focuses on time, cost and quality and enables to answer the following questions.
Is the Project on time?
- Respect of Baseline Start and Finish date
- Respect of Project Deadline (and by how much)
- Relevance of Project Finish date based on Velocity (Agile Project)
- OTD value (Phases & Gates)
- Buffer Consumption of Critical Chain Projects
How is the Project financial situation?
- Respect of Baseline Effort and Cost
- Respect of Project Budget
- Level of Project Margin (Billable Projects)
- Level of Return On Investment
How reliable is the Project schedule?
- Project Manager’s Status Report
- Number of Planning Problems
- Number of Resource Problems
- Amount of over-utilized Resources
- Number of Transaction Problems
- Number of Planned Transactions in the past
Find out more about Health Score and Dependencies Management in Sciforma 7.1 in Fabien Herelle's on-demand webinar :